LAMB CHOP RENDANG CURRY
Preparation Time: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 90 minutes
- 1 kg Lamb forquarter chops
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, whole plus 2 more leaves finely shredded
- 400 ml coconut cream
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup dessicated coconut
- 2 medium brown onions, roughly chopped
- 2 large red chillies, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 3 cm ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cm galangal, peeled (optional) and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tsp salt
- Steamed rice
- Thinly sliced cucumber, tomato and red onion
What To Do:1. For the rendang, use the store bought curry paste or blend the rempah ingredients together to a smooth paste in a food processor.
2. Fry the rempah/curry paste in the oil for about 10 minutes until very fragrant.
3. Add the forequarter chops, lemongrass and whole lime leaves and fry for a few minutes to coat in the paste.
4. Add the coconut cream, sugar, and a cup of water and bring to a simmer. Simmer covered for about 1 hour.
5. Meanwhile, for the kerisik fry the coconut in a separate frypan until golden brown.
6. Add the kerisik, stir well and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes until the rendang is thick and oily.
7. Scatter with the shredded lime leaves and serve with rice and slices of cucumber.
- Other cuts that are suitable include – neck chops, lamb shanks, diced lamb shoulder, diced lamb leg (cooking times will be dependent on cut)