*Patience is a must... it's not going to happen quickly... but it will be worth the wait!
*Start with the skin side up to reduces flare-ups
*Medium heat gives you browned (not blackened) skin and juicy flesh
We do a popular de-boned chicken, or we call it a flat bird hehe, which is great too because it's a whole chicken but with the ribcage taken out, so it cooks quicker than a regular whole bird and you can get that pre-marinated or do this little dish below to do it yourself.
What you need:
- 10 oil-packed anchovy fillets, finely chopped (OR use some fish sauce if you don't like anchovies!)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely grated*
- 1 1/2 cups green olives (such as Castelvetrano), plus 1/2 cup brine reserved
- 1/2 cup olive oil* (use garlic oil if LOW FODMAP)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced (leave out if LOW FODMAP)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh oregano, plus leaves for serving
- 1 chicken, halved lengthwise (or get one of our deboned chooks!)
- Vegetable oil (for grilling)
- Tomatoes sliced
- Toss anchovies, garlic, olive brine, olive oil, and lemon juice in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper. Place half of anchovy mixture in a large resealable plastic bag; add onion and chopped oregano. Cover and chill remaining anchovy mixture. (remember you can swap the anchovies for fish sauce if you prefer)
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to bag, seal bag, and toss to coat. Let marinate 4–12 hours.
- Prepare grill for medium heat; generously oil grate with vegetable oil. Remove chicken from marinade, letting excess drip back into bag (a few pieces of onion and oregano still clinging are okay); discard marinade. Starting skin side up, grill chicken, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and cooked through, 30–40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, set out reserved anchovy mixture and let come to room temperature. Use the side of a chef's knife to smash olives, crushing and pitting them at the same time (smash again if very large). Add olives and lemon zest to anchovy mixture.
- Place chicken on top of Tomatoes and spoon anchovy-olive mixture around. Top with oregano leaves.
- Do Ahead
- Chicken can be grilled 4 hours ahead. Store at room temperature and assemble dish just before serving.