I am also a massive Beef Short Ribs fan... as long as they are grass fed & finished! They have so much flavour already in them that I barely add any added flavours to mine at all, however this recipe is perfect if you’d like to add a little extra flavour. If you are Low FODMAP, you have to skip the onion & garlic as usual, but you can definitely use a little garlic infused oil instead. We love to serve this with a nice fresh salad... any kind will work from a crispy noodle Asian Salad, a good old Greek Salad, coleslaw... anything!
Slow Cooker BBQ Short Ribs
- 2 racks short ribs beef ribs - approx 10 individual ribs
- 1 onion sliced
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup BBQ sauce your favourite
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 Tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Mix together garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Wash, pat dry and season the ribs with your dry seasonings, rubbing on both sides of ribs.
- If possible, season the ribs at least 24 hours in advance. Once every 12 hours, give the ribs a shake and a rub and return to the refrigerator. (NOTE: You can also freeze them at this point to be used at later date – only if the meat has not been previously frozen) If you don’t have the time, and need to cook them the day of, they will still be completely delicious.
- Place into the slow cooker (5-6 qt). Add the water and the sliced onion. Cook on high for approximately 5 hours.
- When cooking is complete, remove the ribs and place onto a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment or foil, and if possible, a baking rack on top of that. If no rack is available, that is fine, the rack is only to help the air get to all sides of the ribs. Placing them on the parchment is quite fine.
- Sauce the ribs with your favorite BBQ sauce liberally.
- Place in the oven on GRILL for approximately 3 minutes. Watch they do not burn!
- Turn them over and sauce them again. Back into the oven to GRILL for another 3 minutes or until they start to caramelize.. Remove from the oven and let them rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve with a fresh salad and enjoy this sticky, juicy, goodness!