Croque Monsieur Recipe (with optional Bechamel Sauce)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 to 25 minutes
- Serving Size: 2 sandwiches
- 4 thick slices white bread
- Dijon mustard, for spreading
- 4 slices of Australian Grown, Free Range Bacon
- Gruyere or Tasty/Vintage Cheddar cheese, sliced
- 1/4 cup grated cheese
Optional - Béchamel sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for toasting bread in the pan
- 2 tablespoons all- purpose flour
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- In a small heavy bottomed pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Once it starts to bubble and foam add the flour and whisk for another 30 seconds, stirring continuously. Add the warm milk and stir until smooth.
- Spread the Dijon on one side of each piece of bread. Top 2 pieces of bread with even amounts of the bacon and cheese. Then place the other two pieces of bread on top to make the sandwiches.
- In a large pan melt another tablespoon of butter. Add each sandwich and lightly brown on both sides.
- Place the sandwiches on a sheet pan and top with the béchamel sauce. Top each with the grated Gruyere and place under the broiler until golden brown and bubbly.