This is great for using any leftover chicken e.g. from a roast or my "Whole Chicken used 3 Ways" recipe - http://www.yandinabutchery.com.au/recipes/whole-chicken-broth-used-3-ways
Now traditionally cennelloni tubes are a big pain to fill - then I found an easier way: You can either use fresh pasta/lasagna sheets or we use either Mountain Bread or GF Wraps instead. Either way they are easy because they are flat, so it is easy to just scoop the mixture onto the flat wraps/pasta & roll it up - YAY!
Chicken, ricotta & spinach cannelloni
What you need:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 2 cups roasted chicken, shredded
- 120g baby spinach leaves - I used silverbeet & just cut out the stems (you can throw these in your broth)
- 250g ricotta cheese
- 500g jar tomato pasta sauce - I used tomato passata
- sea salt and cracked pepper
- 400g fresh pasta sheets - I use either Mountain Bread or GF Wraps too
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan or mozzarella cheese, or both
- fresh thyme
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and garlic, then cook over a low heat for 3-4 minutes until soft and fragrant but not coloured.
- Add the chicken meat, spinach and ricotta, then cook for a further 2-3 minutes until the spinach has wilted and turned bright green. Add half the tomato sauce to the chicken mixture and season to taste with salt & pepper & any herbs.
- Cut the pasta sheets/wraps into even-sized squares.
- Heat a large saucepan of boiling water and dip the pasta into water for 1-2 minutes until pliable. Lift out with tongs and lay on a sheet of baking paper.
- Arrange 2-3 tablespoons of mixture down one side of the pasta and roll up to make a log. Arrange in an oven-proof dish with the seam underneath to keep it tightly rolled. Repeat with the remaining pasta and chicken filling.
- Pour the remaining tomato sauce over the cannelloni and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden and bubbling.