Low FODMAP moussaka! Greek moussaka that is simple to prepare. Prepared in 30 min preparation and 45 min in the oven. This moussaka is also gluten- & lactose-free
- 600 g eggplant
- 300 g lean minced meat (you can replace this with low FODMAP vegetarian mince for a vegetarian moussaka)
- 400 g canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 2 medium-sized potatoes
- An oven dish
- 40 g butter
- 40 g gluten-free flour
- 400 ml lactose-free milk
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 60 g grated motzarella cheese
- Heat a frying pan and add the minced meat. Fry until fully cooked and season with 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp basil and pepper and salt.
- Add the diced tomatoes. Stir everything together and leave to simmer for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into very thin slices. You won’t cook the potatoes before you put them into the oven, so it is important to cut them in thin slices. Put aside.
- Cut the eggplant in slices in the length and brush them with oil on both sides. Bake the eggplant shortly on a grill or in a grill pan until the slices have softened and get brown stripes on both sides.
- Heat for the butter in a pan for the bechamel sauce. Add the flour when the butter has melted. Stir with a whisk and leave the flour to cook for a few minutes, while you stir regularly.
- Add the milk little by little while you keep stirring with the whisk. Leave the sauce to heat up and let it simmer for a few minutes until it gets thicker. Stir now and then to avoid lumps. Taste and season with pepper, salt and half a teaspoon nutmeg. Stir the cheese into the sauce.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Take the oven dish and put a layer of potato slices on the bottom. Put a layer of eggplant slices on top.
- Divide half of the minced meat tomato sauce over the eggplant. Cover this with another layer of potato slices and eggplant slices. Spread the other half of the minced meat sauce on top. Finish with the bechamel sauce and smoothen the sauce with a spatula.
- Bake the moussaka in the oven for 45 minutes.
NOTESNote: eggplant is low FODMAP up to 150 g per serving and canned tomatoes are low FODMAP up to 100 g per serving. Therefore it is important that you stick to the suggested serving size and eat a maximum of 1/4th of the total recipe as a meal.