- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 600ml chicken stock
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- good pinch of saffron
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed or finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 300g paella rice (short grain rice)
- 4 chicken thighs (skin on or boneless), cut in half
- 200g chorizo or salami, sliced
- 150g raw king prawns, leave the shell on a few if you prefer
- good handful of frozen peas
- 1 lemon, quartered (optional)
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 8. Put the chopped tomatoes (including their juice), stock, paprika and saffron in a large heatproof jug or bowl and microwave for about 5 mins on high until steaming hot.
- Tip the onion and garlic into a generous roasting tin or ovenproof dish, drizzle over the oil and mix to coat. Cook in the oven for 20 mins until beginning to brown.
- Stir in the rice, chicken, chorizo and hot stock mixture, season well and return to the oven for 20 mins (don’t cover).
- Stir in the peeled prawns and peas, dot any shell-on prawns on top, and return to the oven for 5-10 mins until the rice, chicken and prawns are cooked through. If serving with lemon, a nice touch is to pop the lemon slices on top of the paella for the last 5 mins of cooking, to make them hot and juicy. Check the seasoning and serve at once.
OTHER IDEAS FOR PAELLA
- You can spice up this dish by adding a good pinch of chilli flakes to the stock, and if you have fresh herbs to hand, add chopped rosemary in step 3.
- For extra richness, finish the dish by stirring in a slug of dry sherry and a good knob of butter just before serving
- Add a handful of scrubbed mussels, as well as, or instead of the prawns. Discard any that don’t open.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, January 2018