We always get people coming & asking us, "how do you get the best pork crackling", so today I thought we'd do a Pork Belly Roast with a Foolproof Crackling and a little touch of the fruits that are in season - apples! My hubby even likes to do this one with pears. This dish is great served with your regular roast vegetables or even a mash and some steamed greens. I love it with hassle-back potatoes and green beans! So pick your side dishes, your fruit of choice & lets get crackling!
Apple Infused Pork Belly
1-1.5kg Pork Belly (preferably free range) - ask your butcher to score the skin for you
1 large Green Apple or Pear - sliced
2 Cloves Garlic - crushed
2 Sprigs Rosemary
2 Cups of Boiling Water
Vegetables for roasting
What to do:
1) Preheat your oven to 220C. Place your belly rind side up, in a baking dish and pour the boiling water over it & let it sit for 2 min and then pat it dry.
2) Slice the apple or pear & layer it on the baking tray to approximately the same size/shape as the belly piece.
3) Rub some oil, salt, rosemary and garlic onto the under side of the belly and then oil and salt on the top. Make sure to massage the oil & salt into the groves in the skin.
4) Place the belly, skin side up, onto the apples and roast on 220c for 30 min. The skin should have crackled up nicely now, if there are any spots that still look moist & have not crackled - add extra salt to this area and then reduce it to 180c for a further 45 min. This is when I add an extra tray to the oven, of vegetables to roast - covered in a bit of olive oil & salt & pepper.
5) Now it is time to let your pork belly rest - for at least 10 min... this will be hard to do, because all you want to do is break of a bit of that crackling and gobble it up... serve the pork belly with some of the roasted apples/pears that have made a bit of a sauce with the juices from the pork and some delicious veggies too!