- fish sauce
- sesame oil 1 tsp
- soy sauce 1 tsp
- garlic 1 clove, crushed
- ginger peeled and grated to make 1 tbsp
- sirloin steak 450g, trimmed of all fat
- dried vermicelli noodles 100g
- cucumber ½, seeded and thinly sliced
- Thai basil a handful of leaves
- mint a handful of leaves
- coriander a handful of leaves
- shallot 1, finely sliced
- bird’s eye chilli 1-2, finely chopped
- agave or maple syrup 1 tsp
- lime 1, juiced
- STEP 1
Mix 1 tsp fish sauce, the sesame oil, soy sauce, half the garlic and all the ginger. Pour over the steak and marinate for 30 minutes, or for a few hours if you can.
- STEP 2
To make the dressing, mix the shallot, chilli, agave syrup and lime juice with the remaining garlic and 2 tsp fish sauce.
- STEP 3
Heat a griddle pan to hot, and sear the steak for 2 minutes on either side, or longer if you prefer. Leave to rest while you make the salad. Pour a kettleful of boiling water over the noodles and leave to cook for a few minutes.
- STEP 4
Rinse the noodles and drain well. Add the noodles, cucumber and most of the herbs to the dressing and toss. Add more lime juice or fish sauce if you like. Thinly slice the rested meat, and add to the bowl. Serve with the remaining herbs scattered over.