Quick & Easy Beef Massaman Curry
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 500 g chuck/round/shin/gravy or topside steak
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ⅓ massaman curry paste
- 400 ml can coconut milk
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 large peeled, cubed potatoes
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- a small handful of fresh basil leaves.
- roasted peanuts, extra basil leaves, and steamed rice to serve
WHAT TO DO:1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut the steaks across the grain into strips (about 1.5cm wide). Season with salt and pepper. Add a little oil to the beef strips, mix well.
2. Heat a wok or frypan, ensure it is hot. Stir-fry the beef in 2 batches, remove each batch and place it in a casserole dish. Add a little oil to pan, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, reduce the heat and add curry paste, stir for 2 minutes. Add the coconut milk, stock and sugar, stir until the mixture boils. Add potatoes. Pour over the beef in the casserole dish and stir to combine.
3. Cover the casserole dish, place in oven, cook 30 minutes or until beef is tender. Serve sprinkled with roasted peanuts and extra basil leaves, and steamed rice on the side.
- Brown the meat in small batches as you do a stir-fry. Ensure the pan is hot when you add the meat, it should sizzle when it goes in.
- Make sure the casserole simmers as it cooks – it must not be allowed to boil or the result will be tough, chewy meat.