SIMPLE SOURDOUGH STUFFINGOur Simple Sourdough Stuffing is low FODMAP and works well as a vegetarian side dish as well.
Low FODMAP Serving Size Info: Makes about 10 cups with a serving size 1/2 cup
Makes: 20 servings
Prep Time: 18 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 8 minutes
Author: Dédé WilsonINGREDIENTS:
- 455 g loaf low FODMAP artisanal sourdough bread, torn into 2.5 cm pieces, to equal about 10 cups
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon FODMAP Friendly Vegetable Stock/ Soup Base
- 12 tablespoons (170 g) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup finely chopped leeks, green parts only
- 3/4 cup finely chopped shallots, green parts only
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup (16 g) chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed thyme
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large free range eggs, whisked
- If you want to stuff this stuffing in your turkey, follow your own recipe’s instructions. Our directions here are for baking the stuffing in a casserole dish along side.
- Position rack in centre of oven. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Butter the inside of a large casserole dish. A 3 quart / 2.8L size oven-safe dish works well.
- Place torn bread in a large mixing bowl; set aside.
- Bring the water to a boil in a pot, whisk in the soup base, and simmer for 1 minute; set aside.
- Melt the butter in a sauté pan over medium heat, add leek and shallots greens and sauté until softened, about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Scrape the entire mixture over the bread. Add celery, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme and season well with salt and pepper. Fold in eggs then slowly add enough soup base to moisten well.
- Loosely spoon stuffing into prepared dish and cover with foil. Bake for about 40 to 50 minutes or until hot all the way through. If you like a crunchy top, remove foil for last 15 minutes of baking. Serve immediately.