We are using some cheaper cuts in this one, such as Shin/Gravy Beef or Chuck Steak, which is great value for a family meal, and you can bulk it out with pasta, mash, rice or cauliflower too!
Tuscan Beef Stew
What You'll Need:
1 kg Casserole Beef - either Chuck Steak or Shin/Gravy Beef - preferably Grass Fed - get your butcher to dice it for you
1 large Onion or Leek - chopped
3 cloves of Garlic - thinly sliced
2 tbspn Red Wine Vinegar
1 tbspn plain Flour (GF Flour or Tapioca Flour works too)
1 tbspn Tomato Paste
1 cup Red Wine
1 1/2 cups Beef Stock
2-3 Sprigs Rosemary
400g can Diced Tomatoes
2/3 cup of Olives (black or green - take the pit out)
2 small Zucchini
What to do:
1) Pre-Heat the oven to 180C
2) Season the beef with salt & pepper and coat it in olive oil. Heat a large frypan & over a med-high heat, brown the beef off in batches. Remove each batch & place it into a casserole dish.
3) In the frypan, reduce the heat and add more olive oil and cook the onion/leek for 1-2min and then add the garlic for another minute.
4) Add the red wine vinegar and stir it into the frypan, scraping up the residue on the base of the pan.
5) Add the flour & tomato paste to the pan and stir until the onion is coasted. Gradually pour this over the beef, then add your rosemary & stir it all in.
6) Cover the casserole dish & cook it until the beef is tender. This will depend on which cut you got. The Chuck steak will take 1 1/2 - 2 hours and the Shin/Gravy Beef will need at least 4 hours (so this one is good in a slow cooker too!).
7) Add the tin of tomatoes & olives & zucchini and cook for a further 20 minutes and add any extra water if needed.
Enjoy with some pasta, or rice or mash. :D