Camp Oven Chicken & Vegetables
We love going camping in the school holidays. Especially in winter because the nights are so clear and crisp but the days are usually sunny and wam (depending on where you are located of course!). South East Queensland has soooo many amazing camp sites, from National Parks to State Forestry and Private Grounds too!
Having a camp fire to sit around each night with a cup papa and of course doing the usual toasted marshmallows (my little secret is I toast it and then smoosh it in between two ginger nut biscuits!). The camp fire is is also the perfect place to cook dinner! This is a super easy, camp oven recipe, that can even be cooked at home in the oven. You can prepare a lot of the ingredients before you go & store them in ziplock bags or containers, so that its super simple when you get to camp.
CHICKEN & VEGETABLE CAMP OVEN
- sweet potato – chopped into big chunks
- carrot – cut in half / thirds
- mushrooms – buttons left whole
- onion flakes*
- garlic powder*
- olive oil* for low FODMAP use garlic & onion infused oil
- seasoning salt
- chicken thighs (I like to use bone-in thighs)
- Prepare your fire. Not too hot. Get some coals ready.
- Peel and chop the vegetable into chunks. (This you could do at home before you go away and store either in a zip lock bag or a container.
- Layer your vegetables in the dutch oven. We placed the carrots and then the sweet potatoes.
- Sprinkle the onion flake, garlic powder, salt and pepper on top of the veggies.
- Layer the mushrooms on top.
- Add 1/4 cup of water.
- Layer the chicken thighs on top.
- Sprinkle generously with garlic powder, pepper, and seasoning salt.
- Drizzle Olive Oil all over.