SPICED COCONUT CHICKEN CURRY – GLUTEN FREE, LOW FODMAP, DAIRY FREE
Mmmmm Chicken Curry… it’s one of those things I crave when the weather gets a little cooler because it’s delicious, nourishing and comforting and my whole family loves it! It has a creaminess that the kids love and a soft subtle spice that I love. You all know I love my cinnamon by now! So I guess if I had to compare this curry to something you’d order at an Indian restaurant, I’d say it’s somewhere between a korma and a creamy masala-style curry.
- 2 tbsp curry powder (ensure it is low FODMAP – I have a recipe below to make your own)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp sugar (optional – I use coconut sugar)
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 tbsp garlic infused olive oil
- 500g chicken thighs or 2 chicken breasts, chopped
- 175 ml coconut milk (regular or light are fine)
- 250 ml coconut yoghurt (Greek yoghurt works too if you can have dairy)
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 handfuls of spinach
- handful of fresh chives, chopped
Add your garlic infused oil to your pan, heat up and then add all your spices and sugar for about 1 minute, keep stirring. (Spices: curry powder, cinnamon, paprika, ground ginger, asafoetida).
Next add your chicken, followed by your coconut milk, coconut yoghurt, tomato puree and bay leaf. Stir and then simmer for about 20 minutes.
Add your spinach and lemon juice. Cook until the spinach has wilted down.
Remove your bay leaf and its ready to eat. Sprinkle of some fresh chives and some coconut or almond flakes if you like! Serve up with rice and any other sides you fancy. Enjoy!
A safe serving size for the elimination phase of the low FODMAP diet is third of this entire recipe. (It serves 3 anyway!)