Asian Style Osso Bucco
Traditionally when you think of Osso Bucco you think of Italian Cuisine. You think of rich tomato sauce and garlic and pasta, right? Well this time we are taking this fabulous cut of meat, which still has the bone in it, and putting an Asian twist on it!
Asian Style Osso Bucco (Low FODMAP)
- Rice to serve. (White, brown, basmati, cauliflower – any)
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 150°C (130°fan-forced). Pat osso buco dry with paper towel. Place flour in a large snap lock bag, add beef and toss to coat. Heat oil in a large casserole dish over medium-high heat. Cook meat for 2-3 minutes each side or until browned all over.
- Add ginger, star anise, teriyaki marinade, peppercorns, chilli and enough water to just cover the meat. Season with pepper, cover and cook in oven for 2 hours-2 hours 15 minutes or until meat is tender and just coming off the bone. Remove meat from sauce and set aside on a plate loosely covered with foil. Place sauce over medum-low heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce slightly thickens.
- Prepare rice according to packet instructions.
- Serve osso buco with sauce, rice, steamed Asian greens and extra chilli, if desired.
- Coating the beef in flour and browning first will add extra flavour to the dish.
- Beef cheeks would also work well in this recipe.For less heat omit the chilli and sichuan pepper.
- Skim any excess oil from the top of the sauce prior to simmering.