ONE POT CHILLI MAC
Talk about fusion cooking… let’s combine Chilli Con Carne with Macaroni & Cheese, cook them in one pot and that’s what we call magic! This dish is so easy to make, easy to clean up and so delicious there won’t be any leftovers to deal with either! I love that there are so many ways you can cook this too! If you are away camping, you can cook this in your camp oven. If you are at home, you can do it in your slow cooker, in the oven in a casserole dish or on the stovetop!
One Pot Chilli Mac
- 1 tablespoon oil (garlic &/or onion infused if Low FODMAP)
- 1 onion, diced*
- 500g beef mince
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced*
- 8 oz elbow, macaroni or penne or GF pasta
- 1 (400g) can kidney beans, drained (use chick peas if Low Fodmap)
- 1 ½ cup beef broth
- ½ cup grated cheese (we like to use mozzarella)
- To serve: minced red onion*, jalapeno, shallots
*Low FODMAP leave out
In a camp oven or other large pot with a lid, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion* and saute until translucent, 3-5 minutes.
Add the beef mince, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and salt. Using your spoon or spatula, break apart the meat and stir to coat with the tomato paste and spices. Once browned, add the garlic* and saute for 30-60 seconds.
Add the Pasta, beans, and broth and stir. Cover with the lid and cook for 5-6 minutes (unless the pasta packaging denotes a different cooking time).
Remove the lid and stir in the cheese. Serve with your favorite chili toppings.