Easy School Lunch Ideas Your Kids Will Love to Eat
Lunch boxes… love them or hate them?? Do you get your kids to do their own or do you do it for them? Here are some easy tips that will help you prepare for your school lunch boxes in advance to take some of the hassle out of it!
Here are some foods that you can store, prepared, in the fridge:
- Apples, sliced and soaked in salted water for 5 mins. Drain and rinse the apple slices and store in an airtight container covered with a moist paper towel. Store for 2-3 days.
- Carrot sticks, store in water (changing the water daily) or in wet paper towel or kitchen towel. Store around 5 days.
- Celery sticks, store wrapped tightly in aluminium foil. Stores for 1-2 weeks.
- Cheese, diced or sliced. Stack together and wrap in clingfilm and then zip-lock bag. It is important no air gets to the cheese or it will harden. As per use by dates.
- Corn Cobs, cooked, drained and stored in an airtight container. Store for 3-4 days.
- Cucumbers, cut into sticks or sliced covered in water or a soaked paper towel can be stored in an airtight container for up to one week.
- Hard Boiled Eggs. Store unpeeled in a container for up to 5 days (eggs must be cooked and eaten within use by dates)
- Pasta, plain and cooked stored in airtight containers lasts for around 3 days. Cover with a damp paper towel to stop the pasta from getting hard. You can rinse under cold water to freshen up before popping in the lunchbox.
Kids’ favourite lunch fillings and flavour combinations! Here are some Easy School Lunch Ideas to inspire you:
- Egg salad/mashed egg
- Cheese (don’t limit yourself to cheddar for more variety use other delicious cheeses such as brie, feta)
- Roast beef or lamb
- Roasted pumpkin
- Capsicum (roasted or fresh)
Dressings, Spreads and Condiments Ideas
- Pesto (if allowed)
- Cranberry sauce
- Cream cheese
- Nut (if allowed) or seed butters
Sandwich Combination Ideas
- Mashed egg and lettuce
- Mashed egg and ham
- Poached or crumbed chicken and salad
- Pumpkin, spinach and roast capsicum with pesto (maybe one for the Mums or the older kids)
- Lettuce and cream cheese
- Lettuce and marmite
- Peanut butter, coconut and carrot
- Ham and cheese
- Ham and salad
- Cucumber and tuna salad
Non Sandwich Lunch Ideas
There are so many delicious ways to vary lunchboxes by packing ‘main’ items other than sandwiches.
- Wraps (see more on wraps and tortillas below)
- English muffins
- Homemade Pizza
- Pizza Topped English Muffins
- Mini Quiche
- Savoury Muffins
- Rice paper rolls
- Leftovers from dinner